[Xastir] Help with TH-D72 run in PACKET and get at GPS?

Kurt Savegnago ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 17 14:16:29 EST 2011

(Sorry about the hijack but it clarifies my reply and questions below)

As I understand it, The D72 can be used as a stand alone tracker with the TNC selected in the APRS mode or one can have the TNC in PACKET mode and control the TNC from a program like UI-View, Xastir or APRSIS32 with WINE.

When in PACKET mode, I don't think there is a way to extract the GPS information into the computer.  I said, "I don't think." :-)
I could be wrong. ;-)  If I am, show me the way............

If there is a way to route the GPS info from the D72 while it is in PACKET mode to the laptop via a USB sertial comverter, I'd like to know as it would negate the need for a USB GPS receiver.  I used a USB receiver I plugged into my Linux/Xastir laptop to give it position information and the D7A(g) for receive/transmit purposes while the A(g) was in PACKET mode.

Is the GPS information available at the 2.5mm jack while the D72 is in PACKET mode?  If so, then a 2.5mm plugged cable to a DB9, going through
a USB serial converter should give the GPS position info to the laptop.
If this is possible, would eliminate the need for a USB GPS receiver to be plugged into the laptop but.......... The battery consumption would go up in the D72 with it's GPS on.  In the field, I have a reservoir of electrons in the form of a high capacity 12V battery with an AC inverter for the laptop.  The USB GPS pulls it's juice from the laptop and the
"reservoir". :-)

Still, it would be a nice option to do if the need arises.
How about it Don (W6GPS) is it possible? :-)

That's why I was tooting my horn so loudly about this rig.  It's options
I tell ya', options. Options the other guys don't have.  Incidentally I've seen quite a price drop in the "other guys" rigs.  I remember one of them,
(GR) had the gumption to have a list price of $540.00 in the beginning. Street is a lot lower but still, that was aggressive if you ask me.

                                Kurt KC9LDH