[Xastir] Help with TH-D72

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 14:55:56 EST 2011

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Alex Carver wrote:

> I don't think the D72 is going to take a Control-E much like the D7 doesn't either.  The processor in the original D7 was configured to tee one single NMEA string from the GPS out onto the serial port every time it saw one come in on the GPS port.  That's the nature of the GPSHEAD command in the TNC.  You fill the GPSHEAD with a NMEA prefix (like "$GPGGA") and then every time the processor sees the prefix it pauses the output of the TNC, spits out the NMEA sentence, and then resumes the TNC data.

Ah.  In some Paccomm and Kantronics TNC's you set something like GPSHEAD and it captures the NMEA string into a variable each time it comes by.  Then a Control-E causes the TNC to dump that string out.  I thought the Kenwoods did the same, but not owning one, will defer to those that do.  Thanks for clearing that up!

It sounds like we need to modify the THD7 startup script, or create a new one for the D72.  Hopefully someone that has the APRS + GPS strings working on one or the other will let us know the details.  I'll be happy to made the mods or add a new file to CVS.