[Xastir] Wx Alerts

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 15:04:08 EST 2011

--- On Mon, 1/17/11, Tom Russo wrote:

> > > Google "APRS Sea of Blue" for a good example of
> how much screaming over
> > > data injected into APRS-IS there has been.
> >
> > Hmmm.  I was at the receiving end of that
> one...  It resulted in the creation of Firenet, where
> we _encourage_ injection of such objects.
>
> It'd be cool if someone would put up a wxsvr equivalent
> with the "liberal"
> gating policy, and gate to firenet...
>
> I miss those wx alerts.

I used to depend on those a lot when I lived in Atlanta.  The thunderstorm  watches and warnings were handy for when I was out and about.  Sometimes the warning showed up before my NOAA radio beeped.

One would have to wonder if there was a way to limit the distance that the alerts propagated on the network and over the air.  I mean it's APRS, position and time are available so surely it can be filtered in some way.