[Xastir] Wx Alerts

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 19:56:27 EST 2011

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Javier Henderson wrote:

>> Which is why we need redundancy.  Particularly for something like this where lives or property are potentially at stake.
>
> Where do I read more about this? I have a number of servers at well connected datacenters with reliable power, that I use to run several APRS-IS servers and other projects, I'd love to help with this.

It sounds like yourself, Gerry, Alex, and I are all interested in doing something about this.  Perhaps Tom and Lynn as well.  We happen to have flood alerts happening in my county right now.

Sounds like it's time for a very short-term project to get this done and out of the way.  I have a few free hours for a week or two, like Gerry.  After that I'll be booked solid for a while too.

Gerry probably needs to tell us how to retrieve and reduce the data to what we need, then we can code up a script or program to send APRS representations of it and then run that from multiple sites for redundancy, feeding into Firenet or another server Gerry sets up.  Let's give him a day or so to 'splain.

I have a modularized Perl script that can authenticate to a server and throttle the objects being sent to whatever rate you wish.  This prevents overloading servers with a big burst of packets.  It would need a module written to snag the data and create APRS packets, then the parent Perl script takes care of delivering them.  I'd rather this script not get out in the wild, but for a small group of trusted people running a needed service, it's a quick start.  Someone could certainly create a program in another language that does similar things later if needed.