[Xastir] Wx Alerts

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Jan 17 23:14:03 EST 2011

Yes, I'm aware of the shapefiles for defining the geographical areas for
NWS offices, but thanks for the reference.

However, I'm trying to build an APRS client "for the masses" where a
single download, a single configuration, and they're up and running.  No
other files to go fetch and/or keep updated against change.  I'm
striving for use of APRS-sourced data for the most part (Ok, I've
deviated by fetching the EchoLink node status just before AVRS came
online and I do support displaying geocaches from GPX files).

The multi-line ovject format is much better, IMHO, than an external
shapefile because the lat/lon data from the NWS's specific alert is
encoded into APRS-speak and displayable from the single object
transmission.  Nice, precise, and not subject to a potentially obsolete
set of shapefiles causing the alert area to be the wrong shape.

Eventually, I might change my mind on this, but until I exhaust most of
the APRS-sourced data, I'm trying not to branch out into other,
especially non-ham, data sources.

<joking> Besides, I have to leave some reason(s) for the existence of
other APRS client software, don't I?  </joking>