[Xastir] Help with TH-D72

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 20:32:00 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Harry Bloomberg <hbloomb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since the TH-D72 has it's own internal GPS receiver, does this still make
> sense?  Why should an external GPS be required if there's one built into the
> TH-D72 and you want to run the TH-D72 in packet mode?

The issue is not whether there's a bug or not. A bug would be a
problem that causes unintended operation. Not seeing GPS data when in
PACKET mode is not necessarily a bug, but rather the unit may be
working as designed.

When in APRS mode, there is software running that parses the incoming
packets and presents them on the screen. There's also portions of that
software that take user input, as well as other external input
(weather, external GPS, and internal GPS) to be used to produce
outgoing packets.

That software knows where to look for the internal GPS unit, and has
some routines to push that GPS data out a port to make it available to
external programs.

There may be an undocumented method of gaining access to the internal
GPS data when in PACKET mode, or they may not be.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to access the internal GPS
data when in PACKET mode. If there is no current method of gaining
access to that data, perhaps Kenwood could add a method in an upcoming
firmware release.

To characterize any mode of operation that does not meet your desired
operational ideal as a bug however is erroneous.

James
VE6SRV