[Xastir] Help with TH-D72

VA7OTC JD Erskine va7otc at yahoo.ca
Thu Jan 20 21:35:42 EST 2011

On 19/Jan/11 13:34, Harry Bloomberg wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:29 PM,<kb8uih at charter.net>  wrote:
>
>> My opinion is that in packet mode, the radio is looking for gps data either
>> from an outside source(external gps) or you have to tell the HT to get gps
>> data through whatever packet program you are running. Have you done this?
>>

> I believe I have programmed the TH-D72 to deliver GPS data, but it does not
> do so in Packet mode.
>
> I am not familiar with the TH-D7.  Did this work the same was as the
> TH-D72?  Did it also have to *not* be in packet mode to obtain GPS data?
>
> 73,
> Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
> hbloomb at gmail.com

Hi Harry,

No, the D7 is more flexible, one can use just a single Serial/COM Port
on the computer for everything.

One requires the TNC to be on that's fairly clear, however one would use
the D7 in TNC Packet mode, not TNC APRS mode. So all APRS functions save
the hardware are external to the radio/TNC combination.

The TH-D7 has GPS data (NMEA format, own station position/movement,
etc.) available in the data stream on the 2.5mm _PC Port_ (there was a
second 2.5mm port on the D7 for the external GPS RX input).

Used this many times. Put the D7 TNC in Packet mode, connect D7 to laptop.

The following is from the UI-View help file entry for Shared COM Port
set-up for GPS & Radio to computer. Many folks referred to this as Pass
Through, though it's not a standarised name.

I don't know what the effective GPS RX report rate is on this path,
suffice to say I stayed on the map at highway speeds, was pretty much
where I thought I'd be, didn't jump about.

73, John
- who would like the D72 to take AA vs AAA, have GPS position info
available at either/both the 2.5mm or USB Virtual PC COM Port from the
internal GPS RX, and at the USB Virtual PC COM Port when an external GPS
RX is connected to the sole 2.5mm shared purpose connection.
--
J.D. Erskine
Victoria, BC

Extract, D7/D700 portion, from UI-View Help file on Shared COM Port for
TNC & GPS data, and computer APRS client(UI-View).
--

"D7/D700 - Check this option if you are using UI-View32 with a Kenwood
TH-D7 or TM-D700 that has a GPS attached. UI-View32 will treat the NMEA

For this option to work properly, the following parameters must be set
in the TH-D7 or TM-D700 TNC:-

·	LOC E 0 - This stops the D7/D700 sending out its own beacon on its
radio port, otherwise you would be sending position beacons both direct
from the D7/D700 and from UI-View32.

·	LTMON 10 - this sets the rate at which the D7/D700 sends an NMEA
beacon to UI-View. The "10" can be varied, but I don't think you would
ever need the D7/D700 beacon to send the information more frequently
than that.

·	LTMHEAD ON - This is needed for the TM-D700. The TH-D7 I used for
testing did not support the command, but some versions of the TH-D7 might.

·	GPSTEXT $GPRMC - to select the correct NMEA sentence for the D7/D700
to put in its beacon.

·	MYCALL must be set to the UI-View32 station callsign. That is done
automatically if the D7/D700 is connected to UI-View32 when you start
the program.

The best way to accomplish the above is to put the above commands, other
than MYCALL, in the TNC initialisation CMD file. TH-D7.CMD and
TM-D700.CMD supplied with UI-View32 contain the commands."
---