[Xastir] soundmodem vs agwpacket engine

Peter Barrett vk6fun at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 20:19:15 EST 2011

I have extensive experience with both soundmodem kernel modules and the
userspace applications since the late 90's.

I'm currently running version 0.15 on a eee compiled myself with puppeee.

I have been unable to compile ax25-tools or ax25-apps (I tried to get some
help on this at linux hams but still waiting.) so i use KISS simple
(/dev/soundmodem0).

Put simply,it doesn't work.

Watching the soundmodem spec-an i see packets but nothing ever gets decoded.

Furthermore, attempting to transmit just produces a single monotonous tone.

I've tried it in alsa mode (plughw:0,0) as well as soundcard mode
(/dev/dsp). no difference.

I'm not surprised, because over the years I have had more frustration with
this program than with any other. The occasional success is tempered with
hours and hours of wasted time.

The documentation is very poor. There is no way of even determining the
version number from the application.

On the other hand, agwpe works every time. It is very easy to set up, and
the documentation is great. there are tooltips to guide you through
everything. It's author deserves a lot of credit.

My conclusion:

Choose soundmodem if you are a masochist and enjoy being frustrated while
everybody else is enjoying the hobby.

Choose agwpe if you actually want to do packet radio.

73deVK6FUN pete