[Xastir] Xastir and the TH-D72 on OSX Mac

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 13:40:27 EDT 2011

On Tue, 5 Jul 2011, Keith Kaiser wrote:

> After reading the various posts and all the threads that went with them, a definitive answer seems allusive on how to successfully connect Xastir to a D72 running Mac OSx.
>
> For example does the radio need to have the PC output option set? If so where in just the GPS mode or in the APRS mode or is it both?
>
> Also, I modified the D7 script for the D72 as suggested on the list but I've seen at least one modification maybe more to the example. Can someone publish or at least send me what they got working?
>
> What interface type is being chosen when adding a new interface control and what are the typical settings?
>
> I guess I'm just looking for a summary of all the discussions about doing this. If no one got it working or if no one has such a summary, I'll work on it when/if I can get things configured correctly.

I don't recall a large amount of discussion about the D72 since its introduction, so you may not find much, but I'd suggest doing a search through the Xastir list for threads where it is mentioned.  It may be mostly a matter of using the "tnc-startup.thd7" and "tnc-stop.thd7" files in the "Serial TNC" or "Serial TNC w/GPS on AUX Port" interface that you are using to connect to it.  Alternatively you could throw it into KISS mode and use the "Serial KISS TNC" or "AX.25 TNC" interfaces to talk to it.  I think the only one that gives you a possible shot at getting GPS data from it would be the "Serial TNC w/GPS on AUX Port" type of interface, but somebody else would have to verify whether or not that works.  Another way to get GPS data across is to use a 'Y' cable from the GPS, with only the RX and GND lines connected on the 2nd port, and put that into a "Serial GPS" interface on a 2nd port on the computer.

I don't have any Kenwood or Yaesu APRS-capable radios so can't help with any radio-specific sorts of detailed questions.  I'll help where I can though.  What I seem to recall is that for the Kenwoods you want them in TNC mode, not APRS mode when connected to Xastir.  In APRS mode they take over and do the APRS protocol themselves, TX and RX.  In TNC mode Xastir takes over.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS:  Where it's at!        http://www.xastir.org