[Xastir] Xastir B/T expert?

Kurt Savegnago ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 19 21:28:53 EDT 2011

Hi,

  My first Bluetooth foray with Xastir has been pretty much a success but
I have a quick and simple question to ask of the cognescenti.
Heck it's my first try with the mode I'm embarrassed to say

  I plugged in a stubby (and cheap) USB Dongle, a Broadcom BCM9204DG-CL1ROM into my Slack laptop and connected a serial cable from the computer jack of a Kenwood D7A(g) and plugged the DB9 into an IOGear GBS301 serial- to-B/T device. Ran it in packet mode.

It pairs fine with the computer with BlueZ and the data packets come in over Xastir (and APRSIS32 with WINE)just as plain as can be. (Minicom too.)

Only issue is that no commands get to the D7A(g) from Xastir to transmit.  I'm using the same initialization file that works with a direct Serial-USB cable except with the B/T, Xastir sees it as /dev/rfcomm0 instead of /dev/ttyUSB"X"

I did a sudo chmod 777 /dev/rfcomm0 and like I said it receives just fine.

I am suspecting that maybe that stubby dongle is only a one way connection device to the laptop/Xastir?  The IOGear GBS301 is in Slave mode.

If that el cheapo ($12.00) Dongle on my laptop is the wrong device, what would be a good Bluetooth/USB device I can plug into the laptop for two-way communications via bluetooth to that IOgearGBS 301?

A $12.00 mistake I can live with. :-)

                             Kurt KC9LDH
http://aprs.fi/?call=PARS&mt=roadmap&z=11&timerange=3600