[Xastir] FAA sectionals

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Mar 24 19:56:41 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 07:31:04PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <AB1GW at alwine.us> flavor, containing:

> Hi,
>
> After some struggle I finally have xastir working!  It works fine with
> tiger maps and USGS topo maps in GEOtiff format.  It will also display
> FAA sectional charts (also in geotiff) but to get things in the right
> place I need to convert them from the Lambert Conical Projection to
> something that xastir can use.
>
> After compiling xastir, soundmodem, and gdal from source and struggling
> to get things working so far, this seems like it ought to be fairly
> easy,  but I cannot figure out how to use gdalwarp to solve my problem.

It's not hard, assuming you got gdal installed (which might have been easy if
your system has gdal in its package management system).

>From README.MAPS:
    GeoTIFF files in certain projections need special processing:

      Not all geotiff files available on the net are usable directly in
      xastir.  Some of them are in projections that xastir can't use
      properly, and others are missing all of the metadata information that
      is needed to work out how to convert them to Lat/Lon unprojected rasters.
      If you encounter a geotiff file that has the correct tags, but is
      in some projection other than UTM, you can convert that file to a
      lat/lon raster if you have gdal installed.  Simply run the following
      command:
        gdalwarp -t_srs EPSG:4326 original_raster.tif usable_raster.tif

      This will warp the geotiff file "original raster.tif" from
      whatever projection it was in into an unprojected lat/lon raster
      "usable_raster.tif" that can be directly read into xastir.

If you tried that and it didn't do the trick, then what went wrong?

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."