[Xastir] New install

Dean warpedspeed1 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 21:07:48 EDT 2011

Message: 8
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:06:49 -0400
From: "Michael A. Serowik" <maserowik at verizon.net>
To: "'Xastir - APRS client software discussion'"
    <xastir at lists.xastir.org>
Subject: Re: [Xastir] New install

Thanks for the response.   I have been running UI-View for a few years now.
Great program but I am looking at different options since UI-View is stale.

What I am trying to do is to set up Xastir like I had for ui-view not sure
if it is possible or not.

I only want to gate local information like the meters for the Airports
locally here.  WX bulletins.  I was running weather-display and like the
function it has.  I was able to get wx alerts emailed to me and post them
directly on the Weather display webpage.  I would get emailed weather
reports.  Not sure if there is a software that will do some of the same
features.  I was also getting my WX stuff on the internet and RF.

Not sure if this is a option or not.  I think I got Xastir up and running
but really do not know for sure.

My system setup is as follows

Ubuntu 10.10
MFJ1270b
MFJ aprs radio
Davis Vantage wireless pro 2

I had to add serial cards in to the desktop.  Only have 1 serial port needed
others.

Really unsure of what to do or how.

Thanks
Mike

Mike, I have used UI-View for various things before, but I have not used
Weather-Display.

A person could setup a web server on the PC with MySQL, or maybe push the data
to another existing web server and provide some of the what you were doing with
Weather-Display.  I really do not know.  Maybe someone else who knows
Weather-Server, or has made fancy web pages with Wx content can tackle that.

I really just focused on getting the hardware and software functional, and
providing the data on regular intervals to APRS / CWOP.  Fancy displays and
gauges would be nice, but I have no extra time for the optional stuff.

I would work on getting Meteo, MySQL, db2APRS, and Xastir all working first,
then you can work on getting fancy with it later.

Even though it is a separate function, I would work on Gating to RF AFTER the Wx
station stuff is out of the way and done.

I also Gate Severe Wx alerts to RF here in the Orlando area.  One of the lessons
that I learned along the way, was that I had to run Xastir as a full
bi-directional I-Gate to get the alerts to gate to RF.  I did not find any
specific documentation that stated it that way, but that is what I determined.
I remember that I had asked some questions here on the list about it.  A search
through the archives might provide some additional information on that.

I recommend joining the Meteo list (meteo at lists.othello.ch) and asking them for
the latest version of the Meteo software.

When I implemented mine, I just used the version on their website.  I did not
know that there was a newer patched version. This resulted in much pulling of
hair, gnashing of teeth, and manual editing of dozens of .cc files.

Look through the documentation on the Xastir Wiki and also in the SRC tree on
your PC.  This will take some time, but you need to understand the Meteo, MYSQL,
db2APRS, Xastir process before you can successfully implement it.  With my
hectic schedule, it took me over a week to get through the documentation to
figure it out.  Hopefully you can set aside some blocks of time to work on this,
instead of the fragmented way that I had to go about it.  It is good stuff, once
you get it working.

Dean  KD4TWJ