[Xastir] a Newbie need advise

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 17:52:53 EDT 2011

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Tom Hayward wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:58, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What i-gate software are you going to run? Xastir isn't i-gate software.
>
> Xastir can be an igate, but it's a pretty complex application for just an igate.

Correct.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, A.Oskarsson wrote:

> Seli here, TF3AO.
> Yes, I do admit that I'm a newbie both to Ubuntu and Xastir. But as I plan to setup an Igate, I would like to
> ask for some help and advise.
> I've already installed Ubuntu 10.10 and Xastir V2.0.1
> No TNC has been connected yet, but I have TinyTrak4 ready, as well as a choice of few types of a radio.
> How do I setup a connection to the web ? Any passwords etc.
> Appreciate all instructions.

Hi Seli,

Are you planning to have a mapping screen at your home as well as an igate, or are you looking to set up an unattended igate system on a hilltop somewhere?

If on a hilltop, I'd recommend something other than Xastir.

If at a home, Xastir can do some sorts of igating, but if you need more complicated igating you may want to run a different piece of software to do just that part.  Using Linux you can have Xastir and other software share the same port, which is nice.

Ubuntu is a good start, and I see you're running the latest CVS Xastir, which is also good.

As far as TNC, you'll do best running a TNC in KISS mode.  If you're only going to be running Xastir with it at present, the setup is simplified.  You just need to Add an interface for Serial KISS TNC to the correct port in Xastir.

Before you do that though, find out what the port is you want to use, do an "ls -l" against that port to find out the owner and group, then add your login to the group that the serial ports are in.  Log out and log in and you should then be a member of that group.  At that point you _should_ have read/write access to the port as a normal user, and Xastir should be able to open the port.

As far as generating the callpass, check out the "callpass" executable which comes with Xastir.  /usr/local/bin/callpass perhaps?

Tell us a bit as you're configuring things and ask questions, we'll help you further.  It's hard to do an all-in-one help message, much easier to help with specific problems as you come across them.  Read the README* and INSTALL files that come with Xastir also, and the online help within Xastir, and the www.xastir.org Wiki pages.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS in Search and Rescue:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/search_and_rescue.html