[Xastir] Soundmodem

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat May 7 21:57:03 EDT 2011

On Sun, 08 May 2011 10:24:06 Jarett DeAngelis wrote:
> Curious -- what's the use case here?  Are you running on 2m and 70cm?

Um, no.  Nothing so exciting.  I am just testing.  I am modifying soundmodem
to include PTT control via GPIO on the USB sound chip (I talked about this on
this list recently).  I need to test soundmodem to make sure I didn't break
anything.  I only have one radio, and I don't know enough people in this area
who would volunteer to be the 'other end' yet.

For testing, I wanted to be able to send on one modem and receive on the
other.  Since I have only one radio I'm not actually using any radios.
modem0 has a speaker attached to the soundcard output, and modem1 has a
microphone attached to soundcard input.  I could wire them together, but I
wanted the illusion of over-the-air comms. :)

soundmodem will work in duplex mode, so it can send and receive at the same
time.  It seems that it doesn't matter that Xastir sends my test message to
both modems, since I can receive the test message from modem0 on modem1 even
while modem1 is transmitting.  I suppose I could run two X sessions and run
Xastir on each one.  I could send a message from one instance and receive it
on the other.

Since it works I can now take my PC (laptop), two USB soundcards, one radio
and one microphone to the local hams and demonstrate.  I can show APRS
messaging by holding the mic. next to someone else's radio, which means I
don't run any risk of damaging their hardware.  APRS is not really popular
here, which means it might be completely new to some people.

73,