[Xastir] Useful without TNC/tracker?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu May 12 09:49:37 EDT 2011

On 5/12/2011 9:42 AM, Jeremy McDermond wrote:
> You do not have to authenticate to *receive* data from APRS-IS. Tier2
> servers *are* set up so that you have to authenticate ("be verified")
> to *send* any data through the servers. You can check to see if you're
> logged in by looking on the server's status page under the "verified"
> column. This doesn't prevent you sending a posit packet to show where
> you are for the m/ filter, but it won't be propagated to anywhere, and
> again you have to send a posit to make an m/ filter work.

Almost correct, but not quite.  You must authenticate, but do not need
to be "verified" to receive data.  javAPRSsrvr will not send anything
out to a connected client until the USER xxxx PASS nnnn has been
received.  If the PASS is -1 (or otherwise incorrect), you end up
authenticated, but not verified and data will be forthcoming.

I know I'm picking nits, but I'm also trying to make sure people
understand that they can't just connect to a javAPRSSrvr port and expect
to receive data.  They must send in a USER xxxx PASS nnnn string no
matter what the port is configured to do.  At least, that's been my
experience.