[Xastir] UTF-8 messages

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Sat May 21 20:51:20 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Are there any plans to support UTF-8 messaging in Xastir?  I have searched the
archives and wiki and can find no mention of this.

I know that certain portions of a packet must be restricted to 7-bit ASCII
(such as the callsign and path, right?) but the message body could be UTF-8,
and indeed this is supported by aprs.fi and some clients (e.g. APRSISCE).

As a quick test I tried to paste some non-ASCII characters into the message
box in Xastir, but it didn't work.  Xastir also did not recognise the Korean
input method I have for typing Hangul (Korean characters).

73,

Andrew
ZL3AME