[Xastir] dbfawk problem

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Nov 17 19:00:21 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 04:07:43PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jjolin at itol.com> flavor, containing:
> On 11/13/2011 08:56 PM, Tom Russo wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 08:25:06PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the<jjolin at itol.com>  flavor, containing:
> >> Gents,
> >> What is this little problem:
> >> No DBFAWK signature for mz01jn10.shp!  Using default.
[...]
> >> Jim, wa9arb
> >>
> > Our dbfawk for the nws mz files doesn't work for your 1 June 2010 shapefiles.
> >
> > Try downloading a more recent set of MZ files.  We have a set of DBFAWKs for
> > 2009 and 2011, but nothing for 2010.
> >
> > NWS routinely modifies the names of the fields in their shapefiles with no
> > apparent rhyme or reason.  It means that our dbfawks for those shapefiles
> > become obsolete every year or two.
> >
> > Your choices are to use a set of shapefiles for which we already have working
> > dbfawks, or modify a dbfawk to work with the file you have.  It is usually
> > just a matter of figuring out what the signature is and making a copy of
> > an existing dbfawk to work with that signature.
> >
> Tnx for the info, Tom.  Would you have the url for the web site for the
> mz files?
> You know I think I got those mz files with NWS-get script...is that
> possible?

It is entirely possible.  Sometimes someone goes in and updates the script
to get the newest files and doesn't necessarily fix the dbfawks to work with
them.  It's happened before, and may have happened there.

But the *current* get-NWSdata script does NOT download mz01jn10.shp, it gets
mz05ap11.  So you may be working from an outdated copy of Xastir with an old
coy of get-NWSdata.  What version you using?

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey