[Xastir] dbfawk problem

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Nov 17 21:45:13 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 07:34:12PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jjolin at itol.com> flavor, containing:
> > But the *current* get-NWSdata script does NOT download mz01jn10.shp, it gets
> > mz05ap11.  So you may be working from an outdated copy of Xastir with an old
> > coy of get-NWSdata.  What version you using?
> >
> I am using 2.0.0

The version in 2.0.0 is three revisions old.  It was changed in January,
February, and May since then.  There were multiple revisions of nwsmzddmmyy
around then.

AFAICT, when it was updated to download mz01jn10 (the one that 2.0.0's
get-NWSdata downloaded) the matching DBFAWK was not created.  The
appropriate dbfawk file was added only *after* 2.0.0.

Alas, I just checked and it looks like NWS has updated the mz files since
get-NWSdata was updated, and from the looks of it, they *ALSO* changed its dbf
signature *again* so that even mzddmmyy_11.dbfawk is wrong for that file.  We
need to update get-NWSdata to download a newer file, and need to generate yet
another mzddmmyy_11*.dbfawk file for it to work.

If you were to update your Xastir install from CVS, you'd get updated dbfawks
for the 2010 shapefiles, and one of those will probably work with the mz file
you already have.  If you don't want to update Xastir in its entirety, you
could possibly download just the config/mzddmmyy_10*.dbfawk files from cvsweb
and stuff 'em in /usr/local/share/xastir/config and make those old shape files
work for you.

If you update Xastir, then even re-running get-NWSdata won't work, as it'll
attempt to download files that are no longer there.  And if you download the
latest mz files by hand, you'd get the same problem, because our latest dbfawk
won't match the very latest mz file.

I really don't know why NWS has to monkey with their shapefiles so often.  It
is a hassle to have to chase those seemingly inconsequential changes several
times a year.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey