[Xastir] dbfawk problem

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Nov 25 17:58:33 EST 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 04:51:56PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jjolin at itol.com> flavor, containing:
> On 11/18/2011 09:48 PM, Tom Russo wrote:

> >> Running "cvs update" from that directory should get it.
> > That would require that one be running from CVS to begin with.  James is
> > running from a stable snapshot, which does NOT have update-xastir in it.
> >
> > update-xastir is a script present in a CVS checkout that updates the
> > checkout and rebuilds Xastir.  It is useless in a stable snapshot.
> >
> > James: you'll simply have to start from scratch with a CVS checkout according
> > to the README.CVS file.
> >
> Tom,
> Things have simmered down so now I can continue.  You said I should
> start from "scratch."  What do I do with the xastir stuff that is on the
> computer now....delete all of it?  Would that include the libraries and
> stuff like graphicmagick? I am kind of a newbie in this area.

No, not at all.  Everything you've done so far to build Xastir from
the "stable tarball" is still valid, as are all the configuration files.

All you need to do is to download the CVS version of Xastir's source code
and rebuild using that source code instead.  I say "from scratch" because
it'll be a complete replacement for the source code.

All of those libraries you downloaded and installed before are still fine.

So look at README.CVS in your current (stable tarball) Xastir source tree,
and follow its instructions.  The result will be a brand new copy of the Xastir
source in a different directory, and then you just redo the final build
steps and install your new code.

Once you've done that, Xastir should report that its version is 2.0.1 and not
2.0.0.

You'll have dbfawk files that will work with the 2010 weather alert files, but
not the 2011 ones.  Once one of us has the time to create a set of dbfawks for
2011's shapefiles and updates get-NWSdata, you can just do a "cvs update" in
your CVS directory and you'll get the new files.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey