[Xastir] KML format --- users?

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Sat Oct 1 22:12:06 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
> How many folks here use the KML output of "Store Track" from a station
> info dialog?

I use it from time to time.

> I have been playing with KML output in Google Earth, and I really have several
> ways I'd like to change it.  For example, every single point in the track
> is present with a name "CALL-SS at DATE TIME", which makes a tremendous
> clutter on the screen.  Because each trackpoint is present at the same level
> of KML hierarchy, in order to declutter the screen one has to unclick each
> individual trackpoint.

I have noticed this as well, and it's kind of a PITA.

> I propose to create the KML with the track points in a sub-folder, so they
> can be turned off with one click if one wishes to declutter the track, and
> with the date and time in the description rather than in the point name, also
> for decluttering purposes.  When a <Description> is present, clicking a
> placemark brings up the description in a balloon, so all that info is still
> available, just not smeared all over the display all at once.

Somewhere quite some time ago I saw a KML implementation for APRS that
I really liked, but I can't recall where it was. Could have been the
aprskml Java application?

> Would there be any objections to this change?

Not from me!

Thanks for working on this.

Kevin
KB9MQU