[Xastir] KISS, Xastir and processing data

John Wilson kc4lzn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:14:03 EDT 2011

I've been running an I-gate (KC4LZN, acting as a fill-in digi/igate) for a
couple of weeks now, mostly in support of a bike marathon to be run over two
weekends here in Central Florida with the end of it coming this next
weekend. This was to support the local hams performing communications to the
various safety stops throughout the county.

I've noticed that some of the data coming through my station doesn't appear
to be gating the proper information. I don't have a second receiver and/or
computer with another program to compare it to. I am trying to find out if
anyone else has experienced strange stations being reported with KISS and
Xastir? One station will be traveling along with the proper call sign and in
mid stream it may change a letter or even an SSID on the next report and
then the next report will be correct.

I've corresponded with Dave, KG4YZY at aprsfl.net through which my station
is connected to and he has confirmed that it is being reported through my
station/TNC.

Has anyone else experienced this using Xastir/KISS? I've ran another TNC and
another program (UI-View) with no issues from the same location and set up
but since converting everything over to Linux, that is when it was being
noticed.

Please understand, I'm not finger-pointing, just trying to prevent
being labeled a LID. I love all of what Linux and Xastir has to provide.
Just want to improve the status of my station.

I have a TR-7400A on receiving the data for throughput to the server (
aprsfl.net) and a PK232 MBX in KISS mode connected to a Dell Desktop
computer.

73 John