[Xastir] KISS, Xastir and processing data

John Wilson kc4lzn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 22:08:09 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 14:52 -0600, Tom Russo wrote:

> Pending more info, I'd suspect that Xastir is probably not doing the munging
> of data that you're seeing.  It is more likely an issue between your machine
> and the TNC, or in the TNC itself.  Check cabling, baud rates, etc.  That would
> be my first guess as to where it's going wrong, unless you can watch your
> "View->Incoming Data" and see that Xastir is in fact putting the wrong data
> out to the TNC or sending something different to APRS-IS than it is receiving
> from the TNC.
>
> What is your TNC?  How are you cabling it?  What speed is the serial port
> to your TNC running?

As stated in my initial email, the TNC is a PK232 at 4800 baud and
chokes were put on the ins and outs between the computer, radio and TNC
and then tested again for about six hours only to see the same problem
being sent to the server.

I changed the PASSALL from on to off and will see if that changes
anything in the next day or so...

> Is there any common digi that these corrupted
> stations are going through before you hear them and gate them?  Are there
> other Igates nearby who are getting the same station without corruption?
> Having another set of ears would probably be very beneficial in diagnosing
> this.

I agree. I will contact a station nearby and follow up with that in a
couple of days. I will also investigate logging with my station and look
for anomalies.

> I have run KISS with Xastir and other software on Linux, and never seen
> this sort of data scrambling.  So whatever your problem is, it's not a
> full-blown, generic bug with KISS.  There could be some limited issue with
> your set-up, but it's not one we've heard of before.

Gomenasai, Mi dispiaci, (full bow), my apologies...did not push the
fault with KISS and/or Xastir. Just wanted to know if anyone else had
experienced anything like this. I did what I could with my bag of
knowledge, hence I threw it out to the group. I respect the sweat, time
and efforts it has taken with the group to put Xastir where it is now. I
hope my problem helps others that may experience the same thing.

> There was some discussion recently here where a user was seeing his objects
> being scrambled with random characters garbled, too, and that he would start
> beaconing these scrambled objects as well as his intended objects. I don't
> recall what the resolution of that was.
>
> My guess then was that a local digi was transmitting corrupted data (possibly
> due to a PASSALL setting) and that his Xastir station was adopting the
> corrupted objects (since it still  had his "from" call in it), and then
> retransmitting them on schedule.  But I don't thing we ever heard back from
> him with a resolution or more data.  This doesn't sound like the same thing
> that you're seing, though.

Whatever I find with this, I will provide that for others to reference
for their notebooks. I don't like being the last one with the
information. Where's the fun in that?

I've got a lot to digest, give me a couple of days and I will reply with
my results.

73 John