[Xastir] Mish-mash of questions

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 08:41:26 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Dale Seaburg <kg5lt at verizon.net> wrote:

> One of my goals is to minimize the cost of hardware, hence a single radio
> and tnc, and still be efficient and reliable, while allowing the user to be
> untethered from the vehicle which would have the tnc, radio, antenna.

Is using a computer in the vehicle that has the tnc, radio & antenna
an option?  I'm thinking something small and inexpensive such as a
used netbook, but it could be something even smaller like a Sheeva
Plug or even a wireless router running OpenWRT.  The reason I ask is
that the computer that is tethered to the tnc in the vehicle could use
AX25 networking and ldsped, which is a little linux app that provides
an AGWPE interface for ax25 networks.  Multiple users could share the
same tnc/radio combo with this setup via either Xastir or other APRS
clients that support AGWPE interfaces (UIView and APRSIS32 for
example).  The AGWPE interface is IP, so it will work over wifi - I'm
using it over the wifi network at home.

Lee - K5DAT