[Xastir] Mish-mash of questions

Dale Seaburg kg5lt at verizon.net
Sun Oct 30 15:41:17 EDT 2011

I will answer to all who have replied to me as of this morning, with
this single email.

Andrew Rich:  I used the HP Tablet PC, which is no longer being made.  I
got mine off ebay for a song-n-dance - less than US$100.  They had their
30gb HD stripped, so I loaded Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.  Most had Bluetooth and
WiFi, but almost none of the BT worked, and about 1/2 of the Pcs' WiFi
was defunct.  I found some PCMCIA WiFi cards very reasonable and ordered
several to test.  They work great.  Had to order (ebay) charger
adapters.  I also got some cigarette charger (ebay) for portable use.
The only down-side is that they wash-out in bright sunlight.

Lee Bergston:  You've given me some excellent ideas for the vehicle side
of this application.  The expense of the added PC is nearly an even
offset to the wifi-to-serial adapter - they "ain't" cheap!  With the
AGWPE, I save on the TNC too.  No experience with AGWPE, but I think
that's right - it's a soundcard modem.  Correct?  Don't know quite yet
how I would do the frequency flipping with this arraignment.  Any
ideas?  The radios I have in mind I think would take a simple relay with
SPDT contact set to select between the two frequencies.

Andrew Errington:  Thanks for the hints.  I will look into netcat and
PSKmail.  If PSKmail will work in the Winlink "system" like Airmail
does, then I may be "home free".  Airmail, RMS Express et al are
catching on in the ARES world like wild-fire.  But, Winlink clients are
in the Windows World, only.  Thank goodness for wine.  That was so sweet
to see Airmail come up in wine, the very first time!  And, a second PC
in the vehicle echo'd by Lee may solve several issues for me.

Thanks for some great ideas.  I will keep the list informed as I
progress.  I am open for further ideas, especially in the radio
frequency selecting arena.

73 - Dale.  KG5LT