[Xastir] GeoPDF

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 21:38:32 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Derrick Brashear <shadow at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know this came up a while ago.
>
> The USGS has been making historic topos available online, free. My
> entire state suddenly showed up, so I got interested. They're GeoPDF.
> Last we discussed it here, no support. That's fine: GDAL 0.8.0 and on
> supports it. You need poppler with xpdf support, and then you can just
> run gdal_translate.

Looks like I'm going to need to compile GDAL from source in order to
do a conversion to geotiff.  The version 1.6 binary in the Ubuntu
11.04 repository doesn't seem to recognize the GeoPDF format.  I'm not
sure if I had the syntax right, but at least it appeared to try to
open the map file.

gdal_translate VA_Leesburg_20110624_TM_geo.pdf Leesburg.GTiff

GDALOpen failed - 4
`VA_Leesburg_20110624_TM_geo.pdf' not recognised as a supported file format.

It appears that one can download (for free) very current topo maps in
GeoPDF format for almost anywhere from the USGS.

Thanks for posting the info.

Lee - K5DAT