[Xastir] GeoPDF

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:43:24 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Derrick Brashear <shadow at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I know this came up a while ago.
>>
>> The USGS has been making historic topos available online, free. My
>> entire state suddenly showed up, so I got interested. They're GeoPDF.
>> Last we discussed it here, no support. That's fine: GDAL 0.8.0 and on
>> supports it. You need poppler with xpdf support, and then you can just
>> run gdal_translate.
>
> Looks like I'm going to need to compile GDAL from source in order to
> do a conversion to geotiff.  The version 1.6 binary in the Ubuntu
> 11.04 repository doesn't seem to recognize the GeoPDF format.  I'm not
> sure if I had the syntax right, but at least it appeared to try to
> open the map file.
>
> gdal_translate VA_Leesburg_20110624_TM_geo.pdf Leesburg.GTiff
>
> GDALOpen failed - 4
> `VA_Leesburg_20110624_TM_geo.pdf' not recognised as a supported file format.

I switched to a desktop (which happens to be running Linux Mint Debian
instead of Ubuntu) to try converting the GeoPDF files to geotiff
format.  I built gdal 1.81 from source including a 'yes" for including
poppler, and gdal's configure script results indicated that it found
it.  I believe I had to install the dev package for poppler, which was
no suprise.  Using gdal_translate on GeoPDF files completes without
errors.  The converted files are readable in various apps like "eye of
gnome" aka image viewer, and look good.

However, when Xastir tries to read the converted files, it shows the
following error in the terminal:

TIFFReadDirectory: Warning,
/usr/share/xastir/maps/Offline/GeoTiff/VA_Manassas_20110606_TM.tif:
unknown field with tag 42112 (0xa480) encountered.
*** geoTIFF file
/usr/share/xastir/maps/Offline/GeoTiff/VA_Manassas_20110606_TM.tif is
not in the proper format:
***** Has 3 samples per pixel instead of 1
*** Please reformat it and try again.

Is there a specific setting in gdal_translate that I need to use in
order to convert the GeoPDF's in a way that Xastir will recognize?

Thanks,

Lee - K5DAT