[Xastir] GeoPDF

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Sep 5 15:53:15 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 02:13:35PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:

> Great - thanks for the new creation!  I've got to check and see if my
> gdal was built with python support, and it figures the maps I
> downloaded are mostly the ones that most likely don't have the correct
> neatline specifiers.  I'll have to give things a try later - too tied
> up in other stuff now.

If you hold off a little bit longer (less than a half hour) I will have
a second cut --- this version has an option that allows you to "fudge"
a neatline.  It finds the nearest 7.5' quad boundaries that enclose the
map and uses that as neatline instead of what is in the GeoPDF.  This definitely
works on the couple I've tested so far, and should work on 15' quads (because
I'm doing it by finding left, right, top and bottom boundaries just inside
the full image that round off to even 7.5' numbers).

That'll allow you to use the newer GeoPDFs with bad neatlines.

I've already dropped a suggestion to USGS about the bad neatlines, but in
the meantime this hack will help.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey