[Xastir] CVS back open, problem compiling latest 2.0.0 today

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Sep 15 17:19:28 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 04:41:55PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <joseph.durnal at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> I'm having the same issue: #error "QuantumDepth != 16 or 8"
>
> I've found the lines in /usr/include/ImageMagick/magick/magick-config.h
>
> /* Number of bits in a pixel Quantum (8/16/32/64) */
> #ifndef MAGICKCORE_QUANTUM_DEPTH
> #define MAGICKCORE_QUANTUM_DEPTH 16
> #endif
>
> I'm not sure what to do with it, I tried removing the # (comments?)
> but got the same error when I tried to compile again.  Maybe I'm
> missing a step.

Editing the config file for magick is the Wrong Thing To Do.  The config
header describes the options that were used when Magick was built, and
changing it will cause applications that use Magick to get the wrong
values.  You should put it back the way it was when it was installed,
or any other software that uses ImageMagick will have build/run problems.

Besides, the "# lines" are not comments, but compiler directives.  What
that block means is "if nobody has defined MAGICKCORE_QUANTUM_DEPTH yet,
then define it as 16."  The fact must be that someone has already defined
it by the time that line is processed, and it's neither 16 nor 8.

You can find the actual value being used by typing:

Magick-config --version

Mine shows : 6.7.1 Q16  which means I have version 6.7.1 with 16 bit
quantums.  My guess is yours will show either 32 or 64 bit quantums, and
maybe even "HDRI".

If you want to stick with Image Magick, what is required is that you
*rebuild* Magick with a quantum depth of 16 or 8.

If you're installing Magick from a system repository, you're out of luck
with ImageMagick, which tends to be cutting edge and not at all stable ---
your system-provided ImageMagick may be even be installed
with "HDRI" support (a very experimental high definition raster format
that uses double precision pixel values rather than integer).

If you're willing to build ImageMagick from source, use
"--disable-hdri --with-quantum-depth=16" or "--disable-hdri --with-quantum-depth=8" when you configure it.

If you're not interested in installing ImageMagick from source code, then
try installing GraphicsMagick.  Xastir will use that rather than ImageMagick
if it finds it, and GraphicsMagick puts more of a premium on stability
than the other --- its default pixel depth is 8, and it doesn't even
support HDRI rasters.  They also don't randomly change their API on us
requiring a scramble to fix our code *AND* remain compatible with older
versions of IM.  Most Xastir developers prefer GM for this reason.  There
was even once talk about removing IM support and requiring GM instead.
That idea had to go because...

Some old versions of Ubunutu wouldn't let you install both ImageMagick
and GraphicsMagick from repository packages at the same time (they
unnecessarily overwrote pieces of each other), but that probably isn't
true in any recent vintage system.  In those old systems, we couldn't
require GM because if the user had any other software installed that
required IM we'd have "required" them out of the user base.