[Xastir] {Disarmed} Re: objects getting scrambled

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat Sep 17 00:24:42 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 09:14:48PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <aa9vi at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> Tom (and Curt),
> FYI, TNC is in serial mode.? But no logging or snapshots are checked under the File menu.

Ugh.  Well, there goes that theory.

> There appears to be a bug.? I had to restart Xastir again today.? I thought I could workaround the bug by putting the objects into the TNC and not using Xastir, but it ends up sending the objects twice, even though I don't tell Xastir to send them.? Seems Xastir has some smarts to take objects originated from the TNC and put it into it's Xastir object file and then sends out its own version.

If you tell the TNC to send the objects from the same callsign/ssid as
Xastir is using, yeah --- Xastir will hear an object with its callsign and
adopt it.

> Here are some examples object name Shmbg-DMR that get sent out due to this bug:
>  Shkbg-DMR Shkbg-lMR Shmbg-$MR Shmbg-BMR Shmbg-DMQ Shmng-BMR Shmng.DMR ShmRg-DMR Shmzg-DKR
>
> The actual text of the object is considerably messed up too like the object name.

I have never, ever seen this behavior --- and I have several objects beaconing
24/7/365.

Does Xastir have multiple objects with bad names, or does the name get scrambled
and appear as a duplicate of another object?

I ask, because if a digi out there is running a TNC with PASSALL turned on
(or if you are), then a scrambled *received* packet (due to noise or whatever)
could then be getting digipeated in its scrambled form, and then adopted
by Xastir because the callsign matches.

To test this, Try turning TNC logging on (and only TNC logging), restarting
Xastir, and creating an object.  Then, as soon as you see a scrambled-name
object, look in the TNC log and see if it's Xastir that's originating the
scrambled object, or if Xastir heard it on the RF port and *then* started
beaconing it.

That's the only thing I can even begin to guess at.

Oh, and are you by any chance running a network port as well as a TNC port?
I ask *that* because if your local IGate is the one with PASSALL on, then
you could be getting bad data through the network port rather than the
TNC.