[Xastir] Device closing on failure

Steve Huston huston at srhuston.net
Thu Sep 29 09:34:50 EDT 2011

I'll preface this by saying I haven't looked at the code, so this is
mostly wondering aloud to those who have :>

My APRS computer is in the basement (it's the server that stays running
all the time anyway) so I use a USB extender to connect the TNC to it
from the shack.  Now and then, the device sneezes and the TNC will get
disconnected as ttyUSB0 and end up as ttyUSB1.  This in itself isn't
really avoidable I think, because while I haven't witnessed it I'm
guessing it happens too fast to detect and do anything about.

However, if I tell Xastir to close the TNC, and unplug it from the
computer, the program still holds ttyUSB0 open which prevents the kernel
from reconnecting it there.  The only way I've found to get Xastir to
actually close the device is to close the program, then I can reattach
the TNC and it will come back to USB0.  I can of course just tell Xastir
to look for it on USB1, and that works until I have to restart the
program :>

Any thoughts?  Some time this weekend I figured I'd look through the
code and see if I can find the error code, and in the mean time I've got
'screen' watching for the words "Hard Fail" and emitting a beep if it's
seen.

--
Steve Huston - W2SRH - Unix Sysadmin, Dept. of Astrophysical Sciences
  Princeton University  |    ICBM Address: 40.346525   -74.651285