[Xastir] Device closing on failure

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 15:19:12 EDT 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011, John Wilson wrote:

> Ironic this comes up because this happened to me this morning, outside
> of Xastir. I was monitoring the output of a TinyTrak4 through Gtkterm
> when I inadvertently disconnected the USB-Serial Adapter and then
> plugged it back in. It associated it with ttyUSB1 when I did that. I
> didn't reboot but closed the gtkterm, disconnected the adapter again,
> waited a few seconds, plugged the adapter back in and restarted gtkterm
> and all was well.
>
> My point being, is there another program running that might be using
> that same port to read and therefore assigning to ttyUSB1?

It's starting to sound like the disconnect notice takes too long to trickle up to the application, therefore the app doesn't know anything happened and continues to hold the port.  The USB stack sees that something already has that port and assigns the "new" device to a new port.

This sounds like a software problem but I'll bet it's the USB stack that needs to be fixed, not the apps trying to use the /dev/USB* devices.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Device Capabilities:  http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_device_capabilities.html