[Xastir] Garmin IMG support? (was: Xastir Source control)

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Tue Aug 7 01:28:56 EDT 2012

On 6.8.2012 21:06, Tom Russo wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 10:40:52AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <wa7nwp at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
>> instructions...   Is it really true that we're still using CVS?    Not

> Yes.  There has been no compelling reason to switch to SVN.  If it ain't
> broke...

You meant switching to git, right?-)

Sorry for highjacking the thread, but has anyone ever used or tried to
use Garmin img format map files in Xastir? Does any of the map libraries
support it?

The reason I'm asking is that the land survey of Finland finally this
year granted free access to topograhic map data of Finland. A guy then
massaged this data into a nice compact unlocked Garmin img format file.
It looks really nice on a Garmin device and the whole country (300 000+
km^2) fits into a 1,4 gigabyte file.

The topo data is of course available in other formats as well (both
vector and raster), it will just take some more effort to make the
vector data work in Xastir. Shapefiles and dbfawk is probably the way to
go if Garmin img is not usable?

   Tapio