[Xastir] Garmin IMG support? (was: Xastir Source control)

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 12:14:21 EDT 2012

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012, Tom Russo wrote:

> None of the open source libraries I know of support garmin img format.  The
> only program I know of that *produce* garmin img format data is "cGPSmapper"
> (http://www.cgpsmapper.com/) which is not free, and which is actually
> extremely expensive for the fully featured version.
>
> As far as I know, there are no tools for converting the img format to anything
> usable off of a garmin device, and no tools for using them directly.  It is
> effectively a closed format.

My first thought was gpsbabel, but I checked their formats page earlier this morning and there's no support for that one.

We tend to support open formats only.  Closed formats can get legally tricky and there's no reason for us to go there since Xastir is open-source:  Not a lot of revenue streams available for legal defense against lawsuits.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
APRS Client Capabilities:  http://wetnet.net/~we7u/aprs_capabilities.html