[Xastir] Xastir control API?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Aug 8 22:21:52 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 11:04:25AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 08:47:16AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <xastir at trinnet.net> flavor, containing:
> > Hello Xastir users,
> >
> > I normally leave my sole home radio running packet on 145.050 here in
> > Northern California but it would be nice to get back to APRS. Now that
> > Hamlib has Kenwood D710 support (minimal but it does work), I'm looking
> > to expand what I can do. What I'm thinking is setting up sort of time
> > sharing system where I can QSY the radio and then inform the various
> > software systems to go do their thing.
> >
> >    Question:  Is there a way to send a signal to Xastir from an external
> > shell script, whatever to tell it to send an APRS beacon?
>
> There is no such interface to Xastir that would allow an external program
> to trigger a beacon.
>
> That's not to say one couldn't add such a feature, but it's not there now.
> It is probably pretty easy to add a signal handler to do this.

It was easy enough that Tom Hayward provided a patch to do just that.  It is
now committed in Xastir CVS, and you can get the updated code with a cvs update.

Setting the Posit TX Interval to zero in the File->Configure->Timing dialog
will stop Xastir from doing any timed beacons at all.  Sending a USR2 signal
to Xastir will cause it to beacon immediately (whether it's doing timed
beacons or not).

Thanks, Tom.