[Xastir] OS X Mountain Lion compile issue

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Aug 12 23:20:36 EDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 09:33:16PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <w9drr.ham at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Can anyone offer me any ideas or help of why Xastir wont compile on
> mountain lion?
[...]
> compile into:
> Using macports/xcode and this is where it dies:
>
> info:build /usr/bin/clang -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..
> -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/db46 -I/opt/local/include
> -I/opt/local/include/ImageMagick -D$
> :info:build /usr/bin/clang -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..
> -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/db46 -I/opt/local/include
> -I/opt/local/include/ImageMagick -D$
> :info:build map_tif.c:96:12: fatal error: 'projects.h' file not found
> :info:build #  include "projects.h"

"project.h" is a file that proj.4 used to install, but which contained
private information.  Newer versions of proj.4 don't install it, because
the developers had declared this part of the install "deprecated" for some time,
and then just removed it --- unfortunately we didn't get the memo until after
the change was locked in.

Xastir was modified a few months ago to not to include "projects.h", to
include "proj_api.h" instead, and to use only the public interface of proj.4.
You must be using a version of Xastir source that predates that change, which
occured on May 15th 2012.  You'll need to use CVS to get a newer copy.  No
"stable snapshot" or release version of Xastir containes this updated code.

> :info:build 1 error generated.
> :info:build make[3]: *** [map_tif.o] Error 1
> :info:build make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> :info:build map_tiger.c:667:18: warning: 'GetImagePixels' is
> deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
> :info:build     pixel_pack = GetImagePixels(image, 0, 0,
> image->columns, image->rows);
> :info:build                  ^
> :info:build map_tiger.c:679:18: warning: 'GetIndexes' is deprecated
> [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
> :info:build     index_pack = GetIndexes(image);
> :info:build                  ^
> :info:build 2 warnings generated.
> :info:build mv -f .deps/map_tiger.Tpo .deps/map_tiger.Po
> :info:build make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_science_xasti$

These are "deprecated declarations" things are not errors, but warnings.

Clearly, ImageMagick is getting ready to deprecate some of its API that we
use.  They like to do that, throwing Xastir into turmoil.  For now you can
ignore this warning, but eventually Xastir will stop building with IM  when
they remove the "deprecated" functions in a future release, unless we recode
not to use this part of the API.

Ditch ImageMagick and install GraphicsMagick instead.  GM has stability of its
API as a primary goal, and works perfectly with Xastir.