[Xastir] The saga continues ... really close now!

David A Aitcheson david.aitcheson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 16:14:00 EDT 2012

Dave,

On 08/21/2012 01:56 PM, qrv at kd4e.com wrote:
>     Here's where I am at:
>
> 1.  MARS mod reversed and DR-135T Rx sensitivity restored.
>
> 2.  Minicom can send CALIBRATE then l, h, a, or p and it is
>     transmitted.
>
> 3.  Minicom detects Beacon transmissions from my TH-D72a.
>
> 4.  I have receive on Xastir (have to check my TH-D72a settings
>     as the Xastir map thinks it is in southern Europe).

This is a common and easy to fix problem.

In North America our LATITUDE entries need to be POSITIVE numbers while
our LONGITUDE numbers need a NEGATIVE in front of them.

Make sure that the numbers are correct in the station config file in
Xastir as that is where the TH-D72a is getting its location from versus
any GPS that you may have on the system; especially if you hit the
"transmit now" from within Xastir.

Also _IF_ you have a GPS on the system make sure you have the interface
set up correctly from within the interface menu.

> 5.  Xastir "Transmit Now!" causes a packet signal to be transmitted.
>
> 6.  I think I need to tweak a bunch of settings in Xastir and will
>     walk through the Help to learn what I can.
>
> 7.  I need a PERL script like /usb/lib/xastir/kiss-off.pl to
>     send the proper commands to STDOUT to command the KISS TNC
>     into USBKISS mode because even though technically the OT3m
>     holds in KISS mode it doesn't seem to hold in USBKISS mode.
>
>     It needs to be redirected to the port that the TNC is
>     connected to as it otherwise assumes that the Port and
>     TNC are matched.
>
>     The script would be vaguely like this (I don't know PERL):
>
>     ./kiss-on.pl >/dev/ttyACM0
>
>     #!/bin/bash
> #
> # I believe the following sets the port parameters for Minicom.
> # And it also tells the gui to echo keyboard strokes?
> # What of this would be necessary in a non-gui script?
>
> echo -ne '\xC0\xFF\xC0' > /dev/ttyACM0
>
> # Opens Minicom in gui mode with port comm settings.
>
> minicom -D /dev/ttyACM0 -b 115200 -o
>
> # In manual gui mode one has to hit "Enter" to get to
> # the "cmd:" prompt - would that be necessary in command
> # line mode? If so, how would that be accomplished?
>
> "USBKISS on"
>
> # to exit Minicom
>
> CTRL-A X
>
> # to open Xastir
>
> xastir &

Otherwise it does look much better than when you started.

73
Dave
KB3EFS

--
David A Aitcheson
david.aitcheson at gmail.com

Go Green! Print this email only when necessary.