[Xastir] The saga continues ... really close now!

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 20:08:53 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM, qrv at kd4e.com <qrv at kd4e.com> wrote:

> 7.  I need a PERL script like /usb/lib/xastir/kiss-off.pl to
>     send the proper commands to STDOUT to command the KISS TNC
>     into USBKISS mode because even though technically the OT3m
>     holds in KISS mode it doesn't seem to hold in USBKISS mode.
>
>     It needs to be redirected to the port that the TNC is
>     connected to as it otherwise assumes that the Port and
>     TNC are matched.

I have some perl scripts that take my OT USB in and out of KISS mode.
Because the OT works as both a stand alone tracker while not in KISS
mode and as a KISS TNC when the netbook is connected, I need to put it
in KISS mode to use with the netbook and software such as Xastir and
YAAC (and take it out upon exit).

http://www.175moonlight.com/APRS/K5DAT-OTUSB-KISS-scripts.zip

I expect them to work with the tracker3's USB port as well.  I added
some GNU verbage and posted them at the link above.  Hopefully I
didn't mangle anything when I added the comment text :-)

I use a shell script to first run the KISS-on script, then Xastir,
then the KISS-off script.  The perl scripts use the Device::SerialPort
perl module, so they do not use Minicom or any separate application to
communicate with the serial port.  The KISS-ON script is admittedly a
monstrosity, mainly because it is descended from a Kantronics version
where I really had to "beat on the TNC" to get its attention.  It's
been working fine for me with the OTUSB even if it is overkill.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT

P.S. I am more motivated to post this item for the benefit off
potentially many list readers who may find it useful with their Argent
trackers as opposed the benefit of one individual.