[Xastir] Firenet servers: New Rotate Address

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 13:40:44 EST 2012

We have three Firenet servers now in geographically diverse locations.  Phil Pacier set up round-robin DNS for us, which gives one address for connecting into the entire Firenet system.  Thanks Phil!  VM's for Firenet-2 and -3 were provided by Javier Henderson, thanks!

The one address which gets you into the system is:

     firenet.aprs2.net

One caveat:  Some portion of the Firenet object-injecting programs are hard-coded to inject into one server:  If that one server is down you'll see a subset of the Firenet objects until that server is back up.  This problem should hopefully be addressed soon so injecting programs either use the rotate address, or inject into multiple servers at once.

     Firenet-1 (OK), Admin: Gerry Creager, N5JXS
     Firenet-2 (VA), Admin: Curt Mills, WE7U
     Firenet-3 (CA), Admin: Curt Mills, WE7U

Ports which are common across all three servers are shown at these web pages:

     http://66.109.111.22:14501/detail   # Firenet-2
     http://198.137.202.23:14501/detail  # Firenet-3

Stick to the common ports and you should be able to use the rotate address and not care which server you're connected to.  Firenet-1 ("firenet.us") has a few additional ports:  It is down again this morning though.

Weather alerts:  I reworked the weather alert scripts early this morning to bypass the mail system (the mail system was down at the time).  A side-effect of this work:  It should make it easier to port the scripts to Firenet-2 & Firenet-3.  I may do that soon, then set them up to inject weather alerts into multiple Firenet servers at once for robustness.  As long as they inject packets within 30 seconds of each other, dupe-checking should remove duplicates, and having one server go down won't affect the end-user.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u