[Xastir] New stable release out: xastir-2.0.4

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 14:13:42 EST 2012

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, Chip Griffin wrote:

>> OS X is based upon the Mach kernel. Certain parts from FreeBSD's and NetBSD's implementation of Unix were incorporated in NeXTSTEP, the core of Mac OS X. NeXTSTEP was the graphical, object-oriented, and UNIX-based operating system developed by Steve Jobs' company NeXT after he left Apple in 1985.[14] While Jobs was away from Apple, Apple tried to create a "next-generation" OS through the Taligent,Copland and Gershwin projects, with little success.[15]
>

>> OS X's core is a POSIX compliant operating system (OS) built on top of the XNU kernel, with standard Unix facilities available from thecommand line interface. Apple has released this family of software as a free and open source operating system named Darwin.

If they've released it all as open-source, then it must not be based on original BSD code and therefore doesn't require licensing.  My bad.

Found this with a quick Google search (more complete):

http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/whatismacosx/arch_xnu.html

In the "BSD" section it says:  "XNU's BSD component uses FreeBSD as the primary reference codebase (although some code might be traced to other BSDs). Darwin 7.x (Mac OS X 10.3.x) uses FreeBSD 5.x."

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u
U.S. Weather Alerts:  Firenet.us, port 14580, filter "t/n e/WE7U-WX"