[Xastir] CalTopo tiles

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 14:53:04 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM, David A Aitcheson
<david.aitcheson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom,
>
> VERIFY, VERIFY, VERIFY.
>
> I looked at the CalTopo maps for my area (FN24BI) and they are all at
> least FIFTY (50) PLUS years out of date.
>
> Street/Road names being way off and total lack of some development is
> very noticeable.
>
> 73
> Dave
> KB3EFS

There are a few things to remember here: CalTopo has created many tile
sets. Some examples are: historic USGS data, recent USGS topo, recent
USGS aerial, and visitor maps. Caltopo.com also allows viewing tile
sets from other sources like OSM and Google.

When I use a USGS topo map in Xastir, I almost always overlay an OSM
vector map. I agree that it is often not useful to read roads off topo
maps.

Tom KD7LXL