[Xastir] Configure Xastir for use with Kenwood TH-D72A and Garmin Rino 530HCx, Windows XP , Oracle Virtual Box / Debian Squeeze?

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Sat Feb 4 14:02:47 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Anthony Mascola <amascola at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Despite changing the Garmin Rino sentence to NMEA the GPS coordinates still
> do not appear onscreen and no data exchange seems to be going on.
>
> If anyone has a working configuration with Xastir with the Kenwood TH-D72A
> or the Rino 530HCx models can you post how you got these connected?

I also tried to get a Rino 530HCx working and had no luck. It wasn't
my Rino, and I was at a SAR conference with no internet access, so I
didn't get a chance to do much troubleshooting with it. It appeared to
me that it was a gpsman issue specific to the 530HCx USB. We tried a
Rino 130 and had success that way since it was serial, not USB.

I believe Garmin makes a serial cable specifically for the 530HCx
series units, too. IIRC it plugs into the Rino USB port but gives
serial data in/out via a DB9 that you plug into your PC. That might be
your best option to avoid the USB mess.

You might also be able to follow-up with the authors of gpsman to see
if they can add support for additional units like the Rino via USB.

Good luck!

Kevin
KB9MQU