[Xastir] Wiki update for Ubuntu 11.10

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Feb 5 10:41:02 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:12:42AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <maserowik at verizon.net> flavor, containing:

> Sorry, I am not following this.
>
> I have Ubuntu server basic install no other options loaded.
>
> Should  I switch to the workstation version?

Xastir is a program that requires the X window system[1].  Ubuntu Server
generally does not have this installed, because it is designed for server
systems (the kind that are usually rack mounted, providing services to other
computers, and which don't usually have displays).

Your server install may have the right libraries to build Xastir, but it is
probably not running the display server (the "X server") required for Xastir
actually to run.  (i.e you got the message "can't open display" because Xastir
couldn't find an X server to connect to).  This is normal for a server install,
because they usually don't have displays.

You *can* use the server install, but you'll have to add a desktop environment.
This will cause the X server to be installed and run, and additional desktop
management stuff to be installed so you actually have something to look at
when the display is up.  You'll have to take some additional steps to do that,
though.

Try "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" if you really want to use the server
install and get access to the X window system, too.  But consider your use
of the system before deciding that --- if you don't need a server system,
why are you running a distro aimed at servers?  See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI
for some more detail.  Some of the stuff in that article tell you how to set
up a more minimalist desktop than the Gnome desktop provided by
"ubuntu-desktop," but that's a path to frustration for a new user (though
something a lot of old-school Linux nerds prefer, especially on older
hardware).

A workstation install will have a desktop environment by default.  The
workstation/desktop install of Ubuntu is the one targeted at desktop machines,
and it'll have all the right stuff to get Xastir both compiled and running.
If you're not using your system as a server for some other purpose, you might
be better off with one of the desktop versions.  These are intended to Just
Work on desktop and laptops right out of the box, and won't require you to jump
through such hoops.

If, of course, you've got a graphical display running on your server install
already, then I'm off base here.  But it sure sounds like this is the issue.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System