[Xastir] NTP bug causing high CPU load (Linux, maybe other Unices)

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 13:35:22 EDT 2012

I was experiencing VERY high CPU load, mostly system CPU usage, from my
mythtvbackend daemon.  It started yesterday or perhaps even the day before.
Firefox was also causing very high CPU load but only for 30-45 seconds on a
periodic basis.  Mythtvbackend's CPU usage was continous, causing a CPU load of
20 - 25!  That makes the system somewhat unresponsive.

The fix turned out to be killing/restarting NTPD.  It seems a leap-second was
added recently which threw NTP for a loop.  Others may be experiencing similar.
Kill/restart that daemon.  It's a hard one to track down from system
monitoring.  I found the root cause via some Google searches this morning.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
APRS Wiki:  http://info.aprs.net/