[Xastir] SHOW OF HANDS REQUESTED: Davis Weather Station users

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Jul 19 16:26:40 EDT 2012

I've been working for a while with Mike Swiatkowski, AA9VI who reported some
time ago that his Davis APRS Data Logger rain data was improperly handled by
Xastir.

I seem to have found the issue, and gave Mike a patch that seems to have
solved the problem for him.  But if it's correct, it means that all the Davis
weather code has been wrong for a very, very long time.

Is there anyone here who's got a Davis weather unit, has been using it with
Xastir, and who can work with me to test handling of rain data --- which
sorta implies you're in a rainy season right now?

The fix may also require changes to the Meteo and LaCrosse codes, because
if I'm correct about what's wrong with the DataLogger, then these may have
problems, too.

Mike was seeing odd resetting of rain data, and I believe this is because
the Davis code is bypassing some record-keeping that is done by the code for
other weather stations --- and the result is that Xastir's internal computation
of 24 hour, 1-hour, and since-midnight rain are broken.  But to fix that,
one has to assure that Xastir's being told the "total rain" in the right
way, and that Xastir is calling its record-keeping routines even for Davis
weather stations.

I'm not yet convinced that I have it all right, even though Mike reports his
strange behavior has stopped with my patch.

I am unable to test anything rain-related here --- not only do I not have a
Davis unit (I have a LaCrosse), but I live in New Mexico.  We only get about
7" of rain a year, and I'm invariably away from the computer on the day it
happens.