[Xastir] Help needed--installing xastir 2.0

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Jul 23 22:51:38 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 07:10:54PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kellyboswell at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> ?
> I find in my "Home" folder (or directory, whichever it is called) there is a file called ubuntu-xastir-cvsbuild.sh??? .? In Home/src/ there is one folder called "xastir".? It has several subordinate folders and files, none of which end in "cnf".?

It's best not to use the graphical "file manager" type interface.  It tends to
hide files and directories that start with ".".  You want to use a
command-line interface (I believe in Ubuntu this is under
Applications->Accessories, called "Terminal").

For that matter, normal command-line utilities will hide such files, too,
unless you give them special options.  For example, when listing a directory
from the command line with the "ls" program, you won't see files with "."
at the beginning unless you add the "-a" option, as in "ls -a"

> Wait a minute.....I also see a folder?"usr" with subordinate folders including "local".? In fact, I can follow a pathway of /usr/local/share/xastir/symbols and see a file called 2x2.xbm?? So, I think what I'm needing is here.. I just need to find a way to steer things to?it.

Yes, that's where the symbols live, but you need

> Using gedit, I have opened ~/src/xastir/configure? . On line 533 (I counted my way down), under the category Initializations. there is a line that says? "ac_default_prefix=/usr/local"??? . For additional reference, on line 540 it begins the "Identify of this package." followed by PACKAGE_NAME='xastir', PACKAGE_TARNAME= 'xastir',PACKAGE_VERSION='2.0.1', and so forth.? Line 548, ac_unique_file="src/xastir.h"??? Is there where I need to be looking?

Don't mess with ~/src/xastir/configure.  There lies the path to
breaking your source code directory.

Xastir's configuration files are hidden in a directory called ".xastir" under
your home directory (in Unix parlance --- in Windows parlance this is a
"folder").  The fastest and most efficient way to do this is to open a terminal
window and navigate to that directory, using the "cd ~/.xastir/config" command.
Then edit the file xastir.cnf using a text editor such as "vi" or "nano".  If
you want to learn Linux to its fullest potential, this is the path that
the enlightened would have you take.

But if you really want to use the desktop manager, then you have to play some
games.

Under the "Places" menu, select "Home Folder."  Then under the "View" menu,
select "Show Hidden Files."  You will then be able to see icons for files and
folders that start with "." --- these are normally hidden.  Once you can see
the ".xastir" folder, you can open it with a double click, and then you'll
see the xastir.cnf file.  Double clicking it should open "gedit" which will
allow you to edit the file.  You can even use its "Replace..." option to
find all occurrances of /usr/share/ and replace them with /usr/local/share/