[Xastir] Xastir Load Problems (Mac OS X 10.7.4)

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 13 22:31:37 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 09:25:35PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n1mie at mac.com> flavor, containing:
> > RECOMMENDED OPTIONS:
> > -n   GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick (Raster maps) :
> > no

> Interestingly I have GraphicsMagick installed and functional on this machine (installed with Fink). I'm in the process of installing ImageMagick on this machine to see if it will recognize it. On my other machine, with both installed (GM & IM) it says "no" to whether they're installed.

Sometimes GraphicsMagick requires an additional package to be detected properly
by Xastir's configure.  I know that some on some systems it won't work
right in xastir if "lcms" isn't installed.

To determine whether it can use GraphicsMagick, configure checks a bunch
of stuff --- the presence of GraphicsMagick-config, the presence and usability
of a header file, and whether it can find a WriteImage function in the
GraphicsMagick library.  This last one it does by linking a test program
with -lGraphicsMagick --- if for any reason that link fails, configure
concludes that you don't have magick.  And that can fail if there's *any*
issue with the link, including a missing dependent library that
"GraphicsMagick-config --libs" says you need.

Instead of just looking at configure's console output, you'll have to dig
through "config.log" and see what is going on when configure probes for
GM.  Deep in the bowels of that file you'll find the place where it says
it can't use it, and the reason.

(aside, apropos of nothing important)
It is puzzling that there's that "-n" at the beginning of the GM line.  Never
seen that before.  But looking at configure, it's right there in the
echo command line --- on other systems, "echo -n" means "don't issue a
new line at the end of this string" but clearly yours ignores it (which is
why the "no" is on the next line instead of the same line).