[Xastir] US Topo GeoPDF?

Fred Hillhouse fmhillhouse at comcast.net
Mon Mar 19 14:56:35 EDT 2012

Sorry for top posting. Well, not really. It is easy for Outlook users. :)
Lookout!

Inverted Y involves a calculation posted near the bottom of my last reply.
It is repeating below as well.

In this case, the address is Z/Y/X rather than Z/X/Y. Another issue, besides
addressing, the tile is a JPG rather than a PNG.

Using OSM, here is a tile address, Z/X/Y:
http://c.tile.openstreetmap.org/12/1236/1513.png

Using ArcGIS, it would be this tile, Z/Y/X:
http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServe
r/tile/12/1513/1236

Notice X and Y are in opposite places? They are the same values, just
reordered.

Inverted Y would be:
...12/2582/1236

For an example of a Visual Flight Rules tile, Z/InY/X:
http://vfrmap.com/20120308/tiles/vfrc/12/2582/1236.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, that is what is meant by "Inverted Y". I may be
wrong but it makes sense when the tile scheme is considered.

Inverted Y = (2^Z-1) -Y [Note: Z = zoom level]

For the VFRMAP example, 2^12-1 = 4095. Subtract off the Y of 1236 and you
get 2582: the new Inverted Y. In this example, the new Inverted Y is also
before the X. So, not only is it reordered, but, also inverted. Tricky, eh?
:)

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

PS. The VFR (and IFR) tiles are interesting. Any link to them will require
updating since they do change as the FAA sees fit. The last update was in
February 2012.