[Xastir] serial port permissions

Kurt Savegnago ksaves2 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 23 14:26:39 EST 2012

Go to a terminal window.  Do a sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB"X" where X is
where the desired port is.  Input the administrator password and try it again.

I've had some screwy situations where where a port is locked out in
/var/lock and I knew it was available.  I deleted the lock file there
and started over; ie. unplugged the external device (say like a TNC-X)
replugged it in and did a dmesg to confirm the device is recognized at
/dev/ttyUSB"X".  Once the sudo command above is exercised, usually
Xastir will work as long as the port parameters are compatible with the
device being used.
 If the comm parameters in Xastir are set at the wrong speed for the device, it isn't going to work.
  Another down and dirty way to check would be to try Xastir running as root.  If it runs there, then the parameters for the port are O.K. and getting the permission to access the device is what's at issue.  Good luck

                                      Kurt KC9LDH

                             Kurt KC9LDH