[Xastir] NWS get problem

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Nov 26 14:31:11 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:33:05AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jjolin at itol.com> flavor, containing:
> On 11/25/2012 8:49 PM, Tom Russo wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 07:52:05PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jjolin at itol.com> flavor, containing:
> >> When it rains......Here is the latest:
> >> jjolin at jjolin-Inspiron-8200 ~ $ sudo
> >> /usr/local/share/xastir/scripts/get-NWSdatasudo:
> >> /usr/local/share/xastir/scripts/get-NWSdata: command not found
> >> jjolin at jjolin-Inspiron-8200 ~ $ I have tired even with the script from
> >> the readme startup file.
> >> This is getting exasperating.
> > Does /usr/local/share/xastir/scripts/get-NWSdata actually exist?
> >
> > Did you install Xastir from source or from a binary package for your system?
> >
> Tom and Curt.
> To answer you both.  Yes NWSdata does exist....I see it when I run ls.
> I always install xastir from source so that's out.  And I do have wget
> installed.

Please try this:

sudo sh -x /usr/local/share/xastir/scripts/get-NWSdata

This will tell the shell to spit out a line for each line of the script it
executes, and should pin down what command it's not finding.

Since the script itself exists, then obviously one or more of the programs
it uses is not on your system.  As Curt says, get-NWSdata uses wget, unzip,
cut and rm.  I doubt that "rm" is the problem, so it's gotta be one of the
others.

> BTW, did anyone figure out the adobe helvctia font problem I mentioned?
> I can resend if it got swallowed in cyberspace.

I answered you within minutes of your post.

Check that xfonts-100dpi and xfonts-75dpi are installed.  Recent versions of
Ubuntu stopped making them required by the X packages, meaning that old
programs like Xastir that depend on these old standard fonts for their default
font choices get this kind of error.  I had the same problem when I
installed Xastir on an Ubuntu 12.04 system.