[Xastir] Xastir CVS and Debian

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 14:38:04 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 20:18:20 -0600
> Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 09:10:10AM +1100, we recorded a
>> bogon-computron collision of the <edodd at billiau.net> flavor,
>> containing:
>> > Currently it is not possible under Debian to compile a version of
>> > xastir which supports all map types.
>> > The Debian packaging system will not allow the concurrent install of
>> > all the dependencies.
>> > To install libmagickcore-dev means removing libgeotiff-dev &
>> > libtiff5-dev
>>
>> Try installing graphicsmagick instead of imagemagick.  That should
>> remove the bogus dependency problem, unless the package maintainers
>> for graphicsmagick make the same mistake.
>>

> You guessed it, same error
> graphicsmagick-libmagick-dev-compat
> (only dev package in the list)
> would remove libgeotiff-dev and libtiff5-dev

It's been 3-4 weeks since I encountered the same issue with Debian
Wheezy, but if questionable memory serves me correctly, the issue is
that the dev packages for both imagemagick and graphicsmagick depend
on an older dev package for libtiff - I believe it is libtiff4-dev.
Debian wants to remove libtiff5-dev in order to install libtiff4-dev
for magick, and since libgeotiff-dev depends on libtiff5-dev, it wants
to remove that as well.

I thought the easiest way around the issue would be to just install
geotiff from sources.  That did result in a clean configure and make,
but surprisingly I still encountered an error when launching Xastir.
I was going to play with it some more before posting, but time got
away from me.  When I get back to the machine I was using to work with
this, I'll provide some additional details on the error(s) if I can't
figure out a solution.  I'm wondering if this same issue exists in
Ubuntu 12.10.

Lee - K5DAT